My Favorite Birthday Gift
The last time I went camping was the summer before 6th grade and I went to Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center. And by camping I mean I stayed in dorms complete with beds, working bathrooms and living area. The one night we did go "camping" I'm pretty sure our camp leaders set up everything and all we did was sleep there and play games.
Anywho, for my birthday I told my boyfriend I didn't want anything tangible. I didn't want some useless teddy bear, jewelry or random stuff I don't need. I wanted it to be something we could do together so I told him to get me an experience. So he brought me camping for 3 days.
- 7:00 AM: Three(ish) hour drive to the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park
- 11:00 AM: Walked around Gooseberry Falls.
- 1:00 PM: Walked to campsite and set up the tent right before it began to rain and I put away my camera for most of the night.
- 10:00 AM: Woke up with the aftermath of the rain. Had to air out the tent, our shoes and pretty much everything.
- 11:00 AM: Hiked on the Split Rock River Loop (trail). Not shown in the pictures is how muddy the trail was. And I mean super muddy to the point where your shoes and socks are soaked in mud and you slip and fall several times. Pretty sure I spent a big chunk of time looking at the ground, but it was still a great time. And it was obviously beautiful.
- 5:00 PM: Went and got stuff for dinner & s'mores and started the fire... which took pretty long considering everything was still wet.
- 8:30 PM: Walked to the look out near by and watched the sunset. It was pretty breath-taking.
- 9:30 AM: Packed up the tent and packed up the car.
- 11:00 AM: Headed out and went to look at the local sites. The Split Rock Lighthouse and the Two Harbors Depot Museum.
- 1: 00 PM: Headed out.
It was a great trip and one of my favorite birthday gifts. I will always prefer somewhere to go verses something to have for a limited amount of time. The entire thing was amazing and even with the rain it was super fun and worth while.